Matthew and Jo

 Superted V

Blog & Photos - August 2012

28th July - Matthew and Jo arrived in Tahiti early in the morning so we had time to pop in to Papeete to have a quick look around the town. We had planned to go directly to Moorea but there was no wind forecast so we decided to stay and go to the Thaiti a Mai on Sunday afternoon. As there are no buses on a Sunday we had to hitch a lift to the archaeological site where it was held - no problem. Tahiti a Mai is a re-creation of a ceremonial festival where the High Priest's mission is to bring together the world of spirits and the world of humans. 130 dancers and musicians take part in the spectacular performance - in a great setting. Monday there was wind so we had a good sail to Moorea where we had booked Matthew and Jo on an island tour on Tuesday morning to give them a flavour of interior and history of the islands. Fed the stingrays.

2nd Aug - Our next island in the Society group - was 90 miles away - Huahine - so we had an overnight sail - it was good to be able to share the watches out! We stopped at the main village of Fare - a small but friendly place - met up with more cruisers at the obligatory 'happy hour' then the next day hired a couple of scooters to do our own island tour. We then headed down to the most southerly bay - Avea Bay - where Matt & Matthew were able to windsurf in the great breeze for the next couple of days. It was then back to Fare to feed the sharks before heading for the next island of Tahaa on

7th August. After a day spent hiking across the ridge, then cooling off in the clear water, we set off for the coral gardens in Tahaa early in the morning only to have the main sail slider explode and all the ball bearings scattered. Fortunately we were able to divert to Raitera which has a chandlery and boat haul out to try to get some replacements. Unfortunately we weren't able to get the right size but found a couple of aluminum rods which Matt was able to fix in their place. So the following day we headed back to Tahaa and the coral gardens. Another turquoise anchorage with pretty good coral and fish.

11th August - had a great spinnaker run from Tahaa to BoraBora and as we were approaching BoraBora we caught a skipjack tuna which Matthew fought hard to reel in as we couldn't slow the boat down! Met up with Vicki and Roger on El Vagabond and went for dinner at Bloody Mary's. Great meal and atmosphere. Spent the next day snorkeling, feeding stingrays before heading to the northeast of the island on

13th August to a perfect turquoise setting to play and snorkel with manta rays. Back to Maikai yacht club and the village.

15th August - Matthew and Jo caught the plane back to Tahiti and then on to the UK. It gets harder to say goodbye but it was great to see them and be able to share a bit of our adventure with them. See Flotsam. Before we left Borabora we decided to 'do the walk to the peak' - it was 2 hours of grueling climbing up to 600m and 3 hours back down - great day out though and well worth it for the views!

18th August - Departed for a 4 day sail to Suwarrow - made the 700 miles in 4 days and 3 hours - 7.0 knots average!

22nd August - arrived to find our friends Monique and JanBart on Victory had waited to see us so had a very pleasant introduction to Suwarrow. Great place - I had read the book by Tom Neal who had spent several years living alone on the atoll - very interesting reading. It is now a national park with 2 park rangers for 6 months of the year - they keep it in pristine condition. Very social place - a great space on the beach for parties of which there have been quite a few. Had a day trip out to 7 islands with the rangers - snorkeling, hunting for coconut crabs and on the way back visited 'Gull island' which is a major nesting site for frigate birds. Snorkeled with manta rays - got some great video footage.

31st August - Had a 'Blue Moon' party on the beach.


                                          Lat and Long   31 August:

                                          S13.14.828 W163.06.544